Students start step team

Grace Haworth, Staff Writer

Recently around the school there have been papers posted letting students know about a newly formed step team.

“Step is when we use our bodies to make rhythms and sounds through a mixture of footsteps, word and hand clapping,” junior Antinique Thomas, one of the co-founders, said.

Thomas and her other co-founder junior De’Avion Lynch decided to start the club to get more people involved in school activities.

After receiving good feedback from other students and vice principal John Nguyen the idea became a reality. Once the step team was official, Thomas and Lynch asked English teacher Christine Khors to sponsor the team because she is both experienced in dance and interested in the activity.

The team held its first meeting Oct. 28 during late start. There Thomas and Lynch explained what stepping was and showed a few videos so students could get a visual of what they would be doing. 15 students came to the first meeting, but Thomas said she is hoping that more will come in the future.

“Anyone is welcomed to join, just listen to the announcement and sign up on the board by Mr. Key’s office,” Thomas said.

The team plans on performing at assemblies and are even hoping to perform at girls’ basketball games. Thomas, Lynch and Khors are choreographing the dances themselves, but are open to any ideas.

Thomas said she hopes that if this year goes well that the team will continue even after she graduates.