The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

Berlin Joy, Carolina Lane discuss their first year throwing javelin

Maia Dolinar
    Team members gather at a track meet.

Track season begins for the Pirates, and freshman Berlin January and junior Carolina Lane start their first year of throwing javelin on varsity.
    “I wasn’t thinking that I would for sure be on varsity, said Lane. “And wasn’t too worried about what team I made, I was just more worried about doing something after school.”
    Now it is a little different because Lane is a junior, while January is a freshman. Although it is both their first year either way, January makes varsity her freshman year.
    “I was also just doing it to do something, from the start I would’ve imagined myself being on varsity, but here I am at varsity meets, not doing too bad,” January said.
    Track meets are typically on Fridays and students get to leave school early, which is why some students just do it.
    “I joined track not because I thought I’d be good,” said Lane. “Or that I’d take it super seriously, I joined because it is an after-school activity, and I get to be out in the sun getting tan and being active.”
    Throwing does not keep players in shape though, as they don’t do many workouts, unlike the runners.
    “We had some people quit throwing because of the fact we only do warm ups and then throw around for about 45 minutes,” said January.
    The students that stuck with it loved it and said to the two girls that varsity is a good thing for them, they worked for it.
    “Although I wish we did a little bit more workouts, I enjoy doing track more than I thought I would,” said Lane.