The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

Jackson Simon talks tennis

Simon shares his perspective on the season

Piper High School Tennis player, Jackson Simon, walks us through his toughest challenges and shares insight on what he needs to do to stay in the game.

“Staying consistent during matches, being able to hit the ball the same way every time,” said Simon.

He also emphasized how important a role form plays during matches.

“A big part of staying consistent is mainly about keeping a good form everytime you touch the ball to always better yourself,” he said.

Warming up and preparing for matches is important to help get into the right mindset.

“I usually hit a certain amount of forehands, backhands, and I work on my serves to make sure I’m constantly used to the game and how it is supposed to feel when I hit it,” said Simon.

It takes a lot of practice to get good at Tennis, and over time players develop specific strategies. Simon gives us one strategy he tends to use every game.

“Since I’m taller I typically have a better advantage at the net and can cover lots of the area before it reaches the back of the court, so I usually tend to play more forward at the net,” he shared.

Simon shares his confidence in the team and shows how prideful he is.

“I think we have a core group of players that can compete against anyone and are all competitors wanting to always win.”

Simon agreed that tennis is a good recommended for anyone who wants to be active.

“It is an extremely easy sport to pick up and learn and it’s very accessible. People young and old play tennis just because it’s an extremely easy way to stay active and enjoy the outdoors,” said Simon.