The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

Sit back, relax, and listen to some music

Listening to music has a long list of health benefits. Here are a few of them.
Getty Images

Listening to music has so many benefits that most people don’t know about. There are many different types of music and I think it’s important for people to include them in their everyday lives.

According to research by John Hopkins, “Music is structural, mathematical and architectural. It’s based on relationships between one note and the next. You may not be aware of it, but your brain has to do a lot of computing to make sense of it.”

Most people see music as a distraction, but I don’t think it is. It is actually very helpful in most situations and makes you a lot healthier mentally and physically. For example, listening to relaxing music can slow your heart rate and lower your blood pressure (John Hopkins).

Listening to music doesn’t just keep your brain healthy. Many songs are also good for keeping your heart healthy, which will help you stay calm in stressful situations.

BetterUp.com reports that “motivating music increases heart rate. This increases blood flow and therefore improves performance.”

Different kinds of music will have different kinds of benefits. Instead of calming music, athletes can use motivating music to have more endurance and better physical performance.

“When you listen to music, the levels of the stress hormone cortisol drop. It also gives you a boost of dopamine, the reward hormone, which can help to elevate your mood.” (Better Up.com)

No matter what type of music you want to listen to, it can help you feel happier which is very important. When you are happier you will see many improvements in your life such as being more productive, being less anxious, and it can improve your immune system.

“There are few things that stimulate the brain the way music does. It provides a total brain workout.” (John Hopkins)