The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

Should schools provide free pads and tampons?

Pittsburg City Paper

Schools should be providing free pads and tampons in the girls bathrooms who may need them.

From my own experience, there’s been many times where I’ve gone to see if the restroom has any pads or tampons available and there weren’t any there. I would have to go ask someone if they had anything I could borrow.

There’s other girls who have experienced people asking for supplies or needing it. It’s shown that many girls struggle to get pads or tampons or they aren’t able to bring anything to school because they’re limited at home.

“I’ve personally never had to ask someone for a pad or tampon because I have been fortunate enough to be able to bring them to school,” said freshman Harper Wright. “But I get asked all the time for people to borrow them because they can’t bring them to school and they don’t want to go to the nurse where there are other people because they are embarrassed to ask.”

A lot of girls seem to feel that they should be embarrassed about being on their period. When they have to face being around others and asking for stuf then they just get really embarrassed and feel as if being on their period is a big deal.

“Two weeks ago I went to the restroom and my period started early and I was unprepared,” said Wright. “I went to check the restrooms to see if there was anything there and there wasn’t. I had to disrupt my friend in class and she didn’t have anything. I had gone to the nurse to ask for something and there were multiple boys in there which was very embarrassing.”

Being able to provide these supplies for girls can help girls feel like school is a more reliable source and a trusting place for girls who may need it.

If I don’t have anything with me and I unexpectedly get my period, it’s hard to get something from other people because sometimes they don’t have what I need. Going to the nurse is honestly really embarrassing if other people are in there.

Girls find it hard to help themself or others when they’re in need of pads or tampons. Having school as a reliable place can help a lot of girls. Providing girls restrooms with pads and tampons to help girls feel as if school is a safer place and reliable.