The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

Boys tennis program, players grow

This year, the tennis team is a place for athletes who are looking to have fun and stay fit, and also those who are looking for some competition
Bethany Pierce
Sophomores Johnny Vogel and Baird Greenamyer play doubles

There has been an insane increase of boys on the Piper Tennis team this year compared to any other year. In past years the team had to co-oped with other schools, including Bonner for the year 2023.
“Co-opting with Bonner was fun,” said sophomore Johnny Vogel. “I made new friends and experienced things many other public schools don’t usually get to do. I mean of course some things were hard to do, with our schools being located in different areas, but I really grew close with these guys.”
As for the year 2024, there has been a huge leap in competition. Many of the boys have to fight to hold their spots on varsity or JV.
“Tennis has drastically changed since last year,” said sophomore Carson Ward. “More people means having less of a chance of being on varsity.”

For some, playing tennis is about the experience and the friends they make, not so much their placement. Some do it solely as a hobby.
“I started playing tennis almost as a joke,” said junior Tristan England. “But I have honestly grown to really like it. I like messing around with my friends during practice and just having a good time.”
Close to half of the team are seniors, many of which are learning tennis together this season.
“I was kinda bummed when I had found out I liked tennis this much my senior year,” said senior Jacob Mena. “I wish I could have at least started last year.”
For most seniors, tennis isn’t just a high school thing. Many are planning on doing things outside of school.
“This summer I am planning on being at the courts a lot,” said senior Devin Kerr. “I plan to invite most of the boys from this season up there. Maybe to play some king of the court.”