The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

Lady Pirates’ softball journey

Bethany Pierce
Freshmen Ryleigh Vinyard and Brooklyn Dissmeyer warm up together before the first game.

The JV Lady Pirates’ win their first games of the season and are eager to see how they will progress.
“I really enjoy softball for many reasons such as the people and the environment and I think a lot of other
girls on the team can agree,” said sophomore shortstop Faith Paulakovich.
Softball brings all of these girls joy to be out there on the field.
According to freshman second baseman Brooklyn Dissmeyer, “Playing softball not only brings me happiness, but I also love the team bonding dinners and when we go get food after games.”
The Lady Pirates love to celebrate their wins by going to eat together as a team.
“I think bonding with your team and getting close to them is important so that we can all work together and be the best we can be,” says sophomore left fielder Jaime Vertreese.
At the beginning of the season, some of the players felt shy or a little quiet, but since as the season has been underway, they have grown together as a team and grown their levels of comfort and confidence at practices and games.
“Practice can be rough sometimes but all of the hard work is going to be worth it in the end,” said Paulakovich.
Their coaches train them to be the best they can, while also growing the team’s relationships with each other.
“Our coaches try our best to make us good players so that we can win state this year for our seniors,” said Vertreese. “We just need to keep our heads high.”