The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

Behind the scenes

What goes on behind all of the creating
Natalie McCoy
Senior Ilyanna Foehrweiser works on a painting for ‘The Play that Goes Wrong’ set.

Being able to create and explore is an important thing for many while working in a play.

“It’s really fun and lets me be creative,” said Adrian Ibarra-Penca. “It is really satisfying to see the set come together.”

Being a part of stage crew helps bring people closer together while being able to learn new things.

“I enjoy being creative,” said freshman Eva Sewell. “And creating with the friends I don’t have classes with.”

Many have reasons on why they decided to become a part of something.

“First I did it to hang out with my friends,” said Ibarra-Penca. “But then I got used to all the tools and construction and I really got into it.” There’s always more that goes on behind than what many actually end up seeing. Many people don’t get to see the bigger things that go on behind the stage.
“We build sets and the costume crew,” said Sewell. “And make sure all the costumes are up to date for the show.”

A lot of people start by getting into something smaller then they start becoming more interested in something bigger that’s a part of their interest.

“I loved the stage crew so much and wanted to be more involved in the play,” said Sewell. “I also wanted to see what it would be like to be the stage manager.”

Story by: Harper Wright, Bella Alter & Tess Armbruster