The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

A secret spot

Thrifting gets personal when grandma’s involved

Junior Avary Vallejo grew up not being the most fashionable caring girl out there. Later on, as she matured, she realized that she could explore different things that flatter her better, and make her feel good. That is when thrifting became a big role in her life.

“It’s not even that I explored just thrifting, my grandparents love buying secondhand goods and that later influenced me.”

At the end of freshman year, she started to enjoy second-hand goods, not only just clothes but also collectibles like jewelry, sunglasses, and more.

“I have started to get into the jewelry but also things that I see that I just like. I have purchased two tennis rackets for less than the price. I can buy things that I enjoy but for cheaper and cooler.”

According to Vallejo, it’s not just a once-in-a-while thing she does, she does this weekly. “Me and my MiMi go thrifting every weekend, and throughout the time we found our favorite spot.”

Two years later Vallejo still chooses to gate-keep her favorite thrift spot where she finds all her amazing finds.

“I want to be able to keep going and finding my finds without people picking over items I would want,” she said.

It’s not about her not wanting people to have the good items she finds, it’s that it is her and her grandma’s little secret spot. She finds precious things that continue her love for thrifting.