The student news site of Piper High School in Kansas City, Kansas.

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

kcpipernews.com

Like father, like son

Myles Finley follows in his father’s footsteps as a golfer

Sophomore Myles Finley is trying out golf for the first time this first year after being encouraged to do so by his father.
“This is my very first year of playing golf and you can basically say my first time ever,” said Finley. “I got into this sport because of my dad since he is pretty great at it, winning many tournaments and trophies throughout his time.”
Finley’s dad would tell him stories of him playing golf when he was back in high school. His dad still continues to play this sport today and Myles has even gone to some of his tournaments in the past.

“Before I joined golf for the 2024 season, my dad would tell me about when he would play back in high school and how good he was, going to state two out of the four years. I’ve gone to a couple of his torments recently and watched how he would play.”
The golf season started about a month ago and has been going well despite the weather. 
“My season has kinda been going up and down since we started. Everytime we seem to play the weather is always muggy like raining or windy so it’s been very hard to play.”
Myles goes out to practice with his dad every once in a while, but it’s been hard recently since he’s been busy with school and his season, as well as balancing his time with friends.
“I’ve gone out with my dad a couple of times before the season started and we have gone against each other but will also teach me things so I can get better at it. Recently he has been very busy with work so it’s been kinda hard to go out with him.”
Finley enjoys playing golf and likes that it sometimes gets him out of school, but he wishes he was a little better at it.
“I really enjoy playing golf since it takes my mind off of things and is just a relaxing sport to play. People say golf is easy to play, but actually it is harder than you think it is.”